Level – 4 Traffic light system
Local control units play an important role in traffic management in cities. In addition to the central approach (UC C Local Traffic Management 4.0), the use of highly up-to-date vehicle data and data from other road users for optimized traffic light control can also take place at a local level.
The Level-4 traffic light system knows where equipped road users (e.g. cars, buses, e-bikes, bicycles and pedestrians) are located within a 500-meter radius around the intersection and uses this information in the local control system.
The basis for this is safe communication between traffic light system, vehicles and other equipped road users. Besides the proven ITS-G5 technology, C-V2X PC5 communication will be established at an intersection in parallel. The V2I communication is secured by means of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure).
The existing public transport prioritization systems are extended in an innovative way. The results of the predecessor project KoMoD are used as a basis. The aim is to optimize the overall prioritization solution using a hybrid communication solution (short range / long range). With the new on-board unit to be developed, the prioritization is carried out under optimized coverage of reference points. Different GNSS positionings in case of weak satellite signals are tested and optimized.
- Communication between traffic light system and vehicles via ITS G5 and C-V2X
- Transmission of the vehicles’ process data
- Transmission of other equipped road users’ process data
- Data fusion locally in the control unit
- Securing V2I communication by means of PKI (Public Key Infrastructure)
- Hybrid communication of the public transport on-board unit (OBU) (short range / long range)
- Local optimization of traffic light system control by means of new traffic-related parameters drawn from vehicle data and data of other equipped road users
- Secured V2I communication
- Improved public transport prioritization through optimized GNSS positioning
- Public transport OBU with an integrated interface for future use case extensions